Manor House is a district of North London. To find a flat or house to rent in Manor House, London contact the Black Katz Islington office. Black Katz have flats and houses to rent in Manor House and across London.
Manor House is a district of North London. To find a flat or house to rent in Manor House, London contact the Black Katz Islington office. Black Katz have flats and houses to rent in Manor House and across London. If you are a landlord wishing to rent out your property contact Black Katz.
Built up in the mid-Nineteenth Century as part of an area called Brownswood Park, today, like other areas of London, it is a district which has no formal town centre but is distant enough from other town centres that it has come to be recognised as an area in its own right. It is centred on Manor House tube station on the Piccadilly line, at the important crossroads of Seven Sisters Road and Green Lanes. Most of the streets of the district lie within the London Borough of Hackney. However it is close to the border with the London Borough of Haringey so some residents living within the Borough of Haringey would consider themselves to be living in Manor House.
Manor House's most notable features are the eponymous tube station and the eastern fringe of Finsbury Park which lies in the London Borough of Haringey. There is a small shopping area, and the district includes some high-density housing, such as the Woodberry Down Estate.
The Manor House Pub
The pub is the source of both the name of the tube stop and the area. The first pub on the site was built by Thomas Widdows c1810 as a roadside tavern next to the Turnpike located just outside the pub on Green Lanes. The pub was within sight of Hornsey Wood Tavern which had been formed out of the Old Copt Hall, the manor house of the Manor of Brownsood. It is likely its name was taken from this connection. Later in the century a tablet was placed on the pub with the following inscription:
QVEENE VICTORIA HALTED HEREYE 25TH Oct A.D.1843
Sadly nothing more is known of the incident. Towards the end of the century the building was remodelled and modernised. In 1930 the old tavern was demolished and the current building established. Behind the new building new offices were built for London Transport. Although this building still exists, TfL no longer occupies it.
In later years the pub was the first employer of Richard Desmond, now the owner of the Daily Express and Daily Star. The building also housed a nightclub that was popular among Goths in the mid-1980s. This building is now the location of The Manor Club.
Rent a flat, house or apartment in Manor House with Black Katz.
After the construction of the pub early in the century, building continued in Green Lanes in 1821 with a large house at the junction with Woodberry Down. Further north on Green Lanes Northumberland House, a three-storeyed building with a pillared entrance, balustrade, and urns on its roof, had been built by 1824 just to the south of the New River. Thatched Cottage, with Gothic windows, was constructed on the boundary with the borough of Tottenham boundary by 1825. Woodberry Down Cottages, four detached houses on the south side of Woodberry Down, had been built by 1829.
With the development Finsbury Park almost a certainty, the land to the South and East of the present-day park was acquired by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as ideal for building. The park was laid out between 1857 and 1869 and the land was sold to builders.
During the 1860s Finsbury Park Villas, a terrace of at least twelve houses, which, starting with Finsbury Park tavern, ran northward along Green Lanes from its junction with the new Woodberry Grove were built in Thomas John Angell, who appears to have been a speculator rather than a builder.
At around the same time building spread eastward along the north side of Seven Sisters Road, built by Angell and a London builder Thomas Oldis. From 1868 to 1870 large detached houses with gardens running to the New River were built at the east end of Seven Sisters Road. In 1867 three acres were leased on the southern side of eastern end of the road, for four detached or nine 'substantial' houses; three detached houses were built by 1871. An architect, William Reddall of Finsbury, was one of those who leased the houses. Woodberry Down was laid out in 1868, when it was extended eastward from Lordship Road, and villas were built on the south side in the late 1860s. The area was the northern section of a district called Brownswood Park (named after Brownswood Manor) and was regarded as a particularly select suburb.
However, with the increasing suburbanisation of the area, mainly for the middle and lower middle classes, many of the original families had moved out by 1895 and others were being replaced by poorer people in 1913. Social decline continued, until in 1954 the district was inhabited mainly by students, foreigners, and the working class, with most houses containing four or five families and all in decay.
From 1949 through to the 1970s much of the area was redeveloped, the old houses being torn down and replaced with large council developments. One such development was Woodberry Down, a large council estate built shortly after the Second World War by the LCC to alleviate chronic housing shortages. The estate is currently subject to a phased redevelopment that will see modern apartments built on the site.
To find a flat or house to rent in Manor House, London contact the Black Katz Islington office. Black Katz have flats and houses to rent in Manor House and across London. If you are a landlord wishing to rent out your property contact Black Katz.