Find your next home with us.

Find your next home with Black Katz Property Lettings

Experts in the London rental market

Dedicated to matching tenants with properties

Finding a rental property can be a slow and frustrating process. As one of London’s largest lettings and property management specialists, Black Katz are experts at matching tenants with properties. Currently, we look after over 10,000 tenants.

Smooth move-in process

Once your chosen property has been secured, we do all we can to ensure a smooth move-in, providing you with a full-time administrator solely dedicated to processing your move.

Stress-free search

We help to make your search as stress-free as possible. We genuinely listen to your requirements and find suitable properties. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that all our landlords and properties are compliant with rental market legislation.

Extensive choice of properties

With a choice of over 300 studios, 1/2/3/4/5+ bedroom flats and houses from £175pw to £1500pw across London, we help you find the property that’s just right for you.


Registering with us is simple and quick. Complete the registration form and one of our team will be in touch.



We believe it’s vital that both landlords and tenants are aware of their legal rights and obligations. Here are some essential questions and answers.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is only our opinion and is written without liability to Black Katz whatsoever. For clarification of any issues we strongly advise that you contact your solicitor or local authority or visit the website

When a tenancy ends it is normal practice for the landlord to carry out a check out of an inventory or at least an inspection of the property. Once this has occurred then the landlord can make any necessary deductions for damage to the property or furniture or for any outstanding utility bills or rent arrears. However, the landlord cannot make any deductions for normal wear and tear; he/she cannot withhold your deposit without providing you a written notice of why and what for. Should you disagree with the reasons or the landlord is not providing you with a reason, you should contact the tenancy deposit protection scheme that your deposit is protected with.

  • Repairing obligations to the structure and exterior of the property; heating and hot water installations, sinks and other sanitary installations.
  • Ensuring that all gas and electrical appliances are safe.
  • Ensuring that the furniture and furnishings within the property meet the fire safety standards.
  • Paying the rent in the agreed manner and taking proper care of the property.
  • Paying the utility bills for the property as agreed with the landlord, such as gas, electricity and telephone.
  • Paying council tax, water and sewerage charges as agreed by the Landlord.

NO. The legislation in place relating to the installation and maintenance of gas appliances (Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998) demands that all landlords must ensure that any gas appliances within their rental property is inspected and passed annually by a Gas Safe qualified engineer. Failure to comply with the regulation carries a fine of up to £5,000 and/or imprisonment of six months (or more). The landlord is responsible for keeping a record of all the safety checks and provide the tenants with a copy.

Depending on how the disrepair occurred in the first place then the tenant’s rights are as follows. The landlord is not responsible for the repairs arising from the damage caused by the tenant. If the damage was caused by the tenant, then the tenant would be responsible for paying and ensuring that the work is carried out. Apart from this, the tenant only has to do repairs if the terms in the Tenancy Agreement say so.

If the Tenant has tried on numerous occasions to get the landlord to carry out his repairing obligations and has no success then he can either:

  • sue the landlord in court.
  • seek help from the local authorities as they have powers to ensure that the landlord does the repairs.
  • or, in some circumstances, if the right procedure is followed, then the tenant could do the works and take the cost out of the rental payments. Tenants need to know that withholding rent would be in breach of their tenancy terms and the landlord could take action to repossess the property.

Tenant Requirements

Everything you need to know about the service we offer our tenants.


We ensure that we obtain valid Gas Safe certificates on all properties and that landlords either have an HMO license or are obtaining a license.


  • Preparation of all legal contracts and documentation
  • Copies of contracts will be kept on file and may be accessible by you.


  • Security of collection and holding of all monies
  • Ensuring all monies are retained by us until you take possession of the property.

Moving-In Pack

  • Copies of contracts
  • Copies of receipts
  • Contact numbers for utility companies and other useful contacts.

Before the tenancy starts (payable to Black Katz Lettings)

  • Holding deposit: 1 week's rent (this will be deducted from the first month's rent).
  • Deposit: 5 weeks’ rent if the annual rent is less than £50,000; and 6 weeks’ otherwise.
  • Depending on your references you may be required to pay more than 1 months’ rent in advance.

During the tenancy (payable to Agent)

  • Payment of £50 (inclusive of VAT) if you want to change the tenancy agreement.
  • Payment for any unpaid rent or other reasonable costs associated with your early termination of the tenancy.
  • Default fees for replacement of loss of keys or security device from £6 for a Yale to up to £300 for security devices (payable to Agent/Landlord). 
  • Payment of interest for the late payment of rent at a rate of 3% (payable to Agent/Landlord) above the Bank of England base rate.

Fees for Company Let

  • Fees for Company Let Set Up Cost and Referencing: £500 inclusive of VAT
  • Administration Renewal fee of £500 inc VAT to cover preparation of new legal contracts (not applicable on periodic tenancies) and re-referencing tenant(s), where applicable.

Fees for Common Law Agreements

  • Set-up fee of £145 inc VAT per person to cover the preparation of all legal documentation and tenancy negotiations. Please note the set-up fee on Managed Properties is £170 inc VAT per person.
  • Reference Fee of £80 inc VAT per person to cover the processing of collecting and checking of work, bank, and previous landlord references and collection of monies and provision of move-in packs.
  • Credit Check Fee payable to external credit agency from £25.00 inc VAT and you will be notified prior to the Offer being submitted to the landlord if this is applicable.
  • Guarantor Fee £50 inc VAT (per Guarantor (if required).
  • Administration Renewal fee of £155 inc VAT per person to cover preparation of new legal contracts (not applicable on periodic tenancies) and re-referencing tenant(s) where applicable.
  • Administration Change of Tenant fee of £225 inc VAT per person for ingoing tenant.
  • To cover referencing of new tenants, preparation of all necessary legal paperwork and liaising with all existing tenant(s). In addition, there is a Contract Breakage Penalty of £240 inc VAT per tenant payable by the outgoing tenant.
  • Default fees for replacement of loss of keys or security device from £6 for a Yale to up to £300 for security devices (payable to Agent/Landlord).
  • Payment of interest for the late payment of rent at a rate of 3% (payable to Agent/Landlord) above the Bank of England base rate.

During the tenancy (payable to the provider) if permitted, and applicable:

  • Utilities - gas, electricity and water
  • Communications - telephone and broadband
  • Installation of cable/satellite
  • Television licence
  • Council tax

Black Katz is a member of Safeagent (Client Money Protect), which is a client money protection scheme, and also a member of The Property Ombudsman which is a redress scheme. You can find out more details on the agent's website or by contacting the agent directly.



We are one of London's largest student agents, finding homes for over 2,000 students annually.

We always have a great selection of well-priced flats and houses suitable for students throughout London.

Click here to view properties.

How much do students need to pay for a deposit?

The deposit is 5 weeks as normal.

Do all students need a guarantor?

All students need UK based guarantors or the other option would be to pay 6 months up front, second instalment at month 5 of the tenancy or 12 months upfront.

What fees can/can't students be charged? (deposit, inventory etc.)

Alongside rent and deposits, agents and landlords are only be permitted to charge tenants fees associated with:

  • A change or early termination of a tenancy when requested by the tenant.
  • Utilities, communication services and Council Tax.
  • Payments arising from a default by the tenant where they have had to replace keys or a respective security device, or a charge for late rent payment (not exceeding 3% above the bank of England base rate).

They cannot charge tenants for inventories, check outs, referencing:

  • References
  • Administration
  • Credit and immigration checks
  • Renewing your tenancy when your fixed term contract ends.

If I want to move-in in September, when do I need to start looking for a house?

We would always suggest looking at least 3 months prior. It is always good to get yourself registered so, as and when properties that meet your criteria come available, our agents can call you.

How much rent should I expect to be paying in London?

Anything from 150pw to £250pw per person.

Once I find a  property online that I'm interested in, what are the next steps?

Our best advice is to register with the offices that cover the areas that you would like to be in, and as and when properties come available, they can call you. If you do see a property that you like on the web, give us a call and book a  viewing imminently. Properties tend to go very quickly and viewing the same day would be advised.

Are bills normally included?

Bills are not normally included as students bills usually do not amount to much. Full-time students do not need to pay council tax but have to inform the local council of their student status.

Does renting through an Letting Agent mean I won't have to deal with a landlord?

Some properties are managed by the landlord directly and some are managed by Black Katz. The initial dealings will be with Black Katz and then, once you move in, you will deal directly with the landlord if the property is not managed. But we are just a phone call away if you have any questions.

What things do I need to think about when privately renting that I didn't need to think about in halls?

Register yourself for utilities and pay your bills on time, be mindful of your neighbours, pay your rent on time, make sure your landlord is aware of any repairs or problems with the property and enjoy yourself.


Find out about properties before they come on the market.

An email will be sent to you the moment any Black Katz property becomes available matching your requirements.